Here’s our concrete driveway checklist outlining the key points to consider before you build a new concrete driveway.
With more than 20 years’ experience delivering superior concreting jobs across North Brisbane, this checklist from MPA Concrete Solutions is your tool to planning a highly functional and great looking driveway that will complement your property.
What do I need to consider when building a new concrete driveway?
When adding a concrete driveway to your property there are factors you should look at, particularly around the type of concrete that would work best.
- Are there any council or covenant requirements or restrictions? This may influence the type of material chosen or the shape/design of your driveway.
- How many vehicles do you need to allow parking for, and what pedestrian access will be required? Do you need parking space for teenage children’s cars in the future or visitors? Do you need to make the driveway or parking bays wider to allow for wheelchair or pram easy access? Getting the functionality right from the outset will ensure you are happy with your new driveway!
- What shape are you hoping to achieve? Sketch out some options with the shape of driveway you’d like to have. Consider the space you have available, aesthetics of your home, plus any desired landscaping for the area. Once we have a clear indication of budget we can work with you to finalise the design that will work best. When planning your driveway, we also consider the number of control joints needed based on the size, shape and functional requirements. These joints help to minimise cracking in the future.
- What size (or weight) vehicles will be using the driveway? It’s important for us to know the practical requirements from they very beginning to ensure the driveway is structurally fit for purpose – both in the steel used and placement of control joints.If you intend to have heavy machinery (tractors or trucks), or even boats, camper vans/caravans or trailers over the concrete let us know! We can discuss steel upgrades and consider the best thickness to ensure your concrete driveway stands the test of time.
- Are there any concrete or existing structures in place? This will impact shape, but also your colour selection. What will work best with the existing concrete colours or aesthetics of the property?
- What is the terrain like – Sloping? Flat? It’s crucial that you look at the existing terrain as this will play a large part in determining the best concrete finish to use. Does the concrete surface need grip for pedestrians or cars in wet weather? If so, exposed aggregate concrete will most likely be your best bet. Don’t forget to account for any retaining that might be required if earthworks are needed.
- Are there any drainage requirements? We have plumbing contractors on speed dial that we recommend and work with for our concreting projects. It’s critical that any water is directed away from the foundations of your house – whether it’s down the driveway or along pathways.
- What type of material and colour will work with the aesthetics of the property? The fun part is choosing colours (applicable to all finishes except for plain concrete which is only available in white)!
- Can our concrete trucks get close access to area to be concreted / is access easy? If it’s difficult for our concrete truck to get near the area to be concreted, we may have to organise additional equipment for the job such as a concrete pump.
- What is your budget? It really helps if you can give us a budget to work with. Our range of concrete finishes (plain, coloured, stenciled and exposed concrete) have different price points given the range of materials, colourings and textures used in each.
Why is this concrete driveway checklist important?
All of these factors influence not only the material and colour chosen, but also the structure of the driveway including size of steel reinforcing and placement of control joints to minimise cracking in the long term. MPA Concrete Solutions pride ourselves on delivering concrete solutions that our clients love. Call us today to discuss your concrete driveway brief and request a free on-site measure and competitive quote.
MPA Concrete Solutions is North Brisbane’s leading provider of concrete driveways, pathways, patio slabs, shed slabs and driveway rip-outs. We specialise in an extensive range of concrete finishes including plain, exposed, coloured, and stenciled concrete.
We service any of the northern Brisbane suburbs including Mango Hill, North Lakes, Warner, Eaton’s Hill, Bridgeman Downs, Carseldine and Griffin to name a few. Contact us for a free measure or site visit and competitive written quote.